Interest Rate Derivatives, October 2021 - January 2022
Department of Statistics and Quantitative Methods, Università di Milano-Bicocca
If you have an e-mail @campus.unimib.it please join the 202110-bicocca channel in the Slack IRD-Bicocca workspace using your first and last name (no nicknames) and a profile picture. Updates and conversations about the course will be posted in the Slack channel.
The course has a practitioner approach, presenting the current market best practices, often not yet documented in textbooks. Lecturers from the street are invited: traders, risk-managers, quants, consultants. The course aims to provide the students with the knowledge usually tested when applying for investment banks in the interest rate derivatives area.
The course is about the valuation of derivative products (linear, plain vanillas, and exotics) and presents the main Interest Rate and Credit models, with special emphasis on rate/credit curve construction and collateralization issues.
- FRA, Futures, and Swaps
- Rate curve bootstrapping in multi-curve regimes
- Black Model and its shifted log-normal variants
- Interest rate volatility: par, forward, no-arbitrage, and SABR model
- Term structure models: equilibrium, no-arbitrage, short rate, and market models
- Caps and Floors, Swaptions, and Bermudan Swaptions
- Credit Default Swaps
- Credit curve bootstrap
- Counterparty risk: clearing, collateralization, and XVA valuation adjustments
- Market risk management: greeks and static replica of structured products
Derivatives, stochastic processes, risk measures
- Slide based lessons
- QuantLibXL (https://www.quantlib.org/quantlibxl) programming assignments using Excel.
Textbooks and Reading Materials
- John Hull, Options, Futures and Other Derivatives, 10th edition
- Paul Wilmott, on Quantitative Finance
English if foreign students are present, else Italian.
Students attending the lessons are asked to solve some assignments. Assignments have a deadline and are not required/allowed for students that did not actively partecipate to the semester didactical activity.
Assignments can be tackled cooperatively by team of students, up to three students. Successful assignments will contribute up to five points to the final grade.
Please send the assignments to the e-mail that will be indicated with subject IRD202110 #1 for the first assignment, IRD202110 #2 for the second assignment, etc.
The final oral exam will be individual.
- 2021-10-05 Tuesday 16:30-19:00
Interest Rate Basics (slides)
- 2021-10-12 Tuesday 16:30-19:00
Workshop on Interest Rate Basics
Assignment #1: fill in the Excel spreadsheet (deadline: October 26)
- 2021-10-19 Tuesday 16:30-19:00
Rate Curves Calibration (slides)
- 2021-10-26 Tuesday 16:30-19:00
Workshop on Rate Curve Calibration
Assignment #2: fill in the Excel spreadsheet (deadline: November 9)
- 2021-11-02 Tuesday 16:30-19:00
- 2021-11-09 Tuesday 16:30-19:00
- 2021-11-16 Tuesday 16:30-19:00
Interest Rate Models (slides)
Counterparty Risk and Collateral Protection (pdf)
Overview of Central Clearing (pdf)
- 2021-11-30 Tuesday 16:30-19:00
Workshop on Swaptions and Bermudan Swaption
Assignment #5: fill in the Excel spreadsheet (deadline: December 21)
Workshop on Credit Risk and Default Probabilities from Bonds
- 2021-12-14 Tuesday 16:30-19:00
- 2021-12-21 Tuesday 16:30-19:00